2016, 2017, Anthony Recker, Arodys Vizcaino, Brian Snitker, Chris Withrow, Ender Inciarte, Freddie Freeman, Ian Krol, Jim Johnson, Josh Collmenter, Julio Teheran, Matt Kemp, Nick Markakis, Paco Rodriquez, Ron Washington, Tyler Flowers
Brian Snitker, who replaced fired Fredi Gonzalez on May 17, will remain manager of the Atlanta Braves for 2017.
Snitker went 59-65 as interim manager of the Braves last season but sheds that label as Atlanta moves into SunTrust Park in 2017. The Braves hold an option on his contract for 2018.
Rumors began at midseason that Braves’ management would replace Gonzalez with former San Diego Padres manager Bud Black, but Snitker was left standing following an interview process that included experienced MLB managers Black and Ron Washington (Texas Rangers) and three other members of the current Braves’ coaching staff. Bench coach Terry Pendleton and Eddie Perez interviewed with Hart.
Snitker has spent his entire 40-year baseball career in the Braves’ organization as a player, minor-league manager and coach and with the MLB coaching staff. He has a strong rapport with a very young roster based on his experience at Triple-A Gwinnett. The Braves were 9-28 when Gonzalez was fired.
Several trades netted top prospects in return in the past year to position Atlanta as an up-and-coming team for 2017. I am hopeful!
Snitker made multiple changes on the coaching staff, including hiring Washington as third-base coach. Pitching coach Roger McDowell’s contract option was declined and minor-league pitching coordinator Chuck Hernandez replaces him with the Braves.
What is on the horizon for 2017?
- Freddie Freeman, 1B: $106.5MM through 2021
- Matt Kemp, OF: $54.5MM through 2019 (Dodgers, via Padres, paying $10.5MM of remaining obligations)
- Julio Teheran, SP: $26.3MM through 2019 ($12MM club option for 2020; $1MM buyout)
- Nick Markakis, OF: $21MM through 2018
- Tyler Flowers, C: $3.3MM through 2017 ($4MM club option for 2018; $300K buyout)
- Jim Johnson, RP: Unreported guarantee through 2018
Arbitration Eligible Players (service time in parentheses; link to MLBTR projections)
- Ender Inciarte, OF (2.157): $2.8MM
- Josh Collmenter, SP/RP (5.110): $2.2MM
- Arodys Vizcaino, RP (3.168): $1.6MM
- Chris Withrow, RP (3.111): $1.2MM
- Ian Krol, RP (2.147): $1.0MM
- Anthony Recker, C (4.000): $1.0MM
- Paco Rodriguez, RP (3.120): $900K
- Non-tender candidates: Collmenter, Withrow, Recker, Rodriguez